Thursday, December 12, 2013
It wouldn't quite feel like the holidays without watching some of my favorite Christmas movies. Here is a small list of some of the films I enjoy watching the most during this time of year...
A Christmas Story (1983).
The King of Christmas movies in my eyes. I keep this playing on TBS all day long on Christmas day. It just isn't the same without watching this movie once (or 10 times).
The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)
I find Rankin/Bass movies to be so adorable. I've loved them since I was little. These are the movies I'll want to show my own children the most someday.
Christmas Vacation (1989)
I love this one. A true classic comedy.
The Family Stone (2005)
I remember seeing this one at the theater with my family when I was home for college break. It's not for everyone but it's one of my favorite modern Christmas movies.
Home Alone (1990)
This was one of the earliest movies I remember. In grade school, it was always the one we watched on movie days. I love the vibe of this. John Hughes was the master.
Now Playing: "Big Jet Plane" (Acoustic) by Angus and Julia Stone
*This version is beautiful but the original is one of my absolute favorite songs of the past decade.
Monday, December 9, 2013
"Magic Light" (Album Version)
"Magic Light" (via SoundCloud)
Wampire is a group from Portland, Oregon. Their debut album, Curiosity, which is one of my favorite releases of the year, can be purchased here.
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
"The unreal is more powerful than the real. Because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. Because it's only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. Stone crumbles. Wood rots. People, well, they die. But things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on."
Now Playing: "Magic Light" by Wampire
*One of my favorite and most-played songs of the year.
Monday, December 2, 2013
I'm one of those people who love holiday music. The classic familiarity that it delivers is unparalleled. I don't listen to the jingle bells all year 'round (that would only take away its magic) but I do start rocking around the Christmas tree about the weekend after Thanksgiving. Here are some of my favorite recordings that get me in the spirit of it all...
1. "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt, 1953.
2. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee, 1958.
3. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" by Bing Crosby, 1943.
4. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Mariah Carey, 1994.
5. "Winter Wonderland" by Ray Charles, 1997.
6. "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon, 1972.
7. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland, 1944.
8. "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives, 1965.
9. "Merry Christmas Baby" by Chuck Berry, 1964.
10. "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" by The Temptations, 1968.
11. "Silver Bells" by She & Him, 2011.
12. "I'll Be Home or Christmas" by Elvis Presley, 1957.
13. "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" by Frank Sinatra, 1950.
14. "O Holy Night" by Ella Fitzgerald, 1967.
15. "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby, 1954.
Sunday, December 1, 2013
1. "Kites" by Geographer, 2010.
2. "Construction" by Radiation City, 2011.
3. "When I'm Small" by Phantogram, 2010.
4. "Hurricane" by Ms Mr, 2012.
5. "Little Girl" by Robert Francis, 2010.
6. "Penny" by Hanni El Khatib, 2013.
7. "Hold On, We're Going Home" by Drake, 2013.
8. "It All Feels Right" by Washed Out, 2013.
9. "Miracles" by Jefferson Starship, 1975.
10. "No Destruction" by Foxygen, 2013.
11. "Blood Bank" by Bon Iver, 2009.
12. "Calgary" by Bon Iver, 2011.
- December (5)
- November (18)
- October (17)
- September (14)
- August (17)
- July (23)
- June (17)
- May (25)
- April (27)
- March (23)
- February (37)
- January (4)
- December (22)
- November (25)
- October (29)
- September (15)
- August (11)
- July (8)
- June (3)
- May (3)
- April (2)
- March (29)
- February (52)
- January (56)
- Krista Roman
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
- I'm 27 and living life in beautiful Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I hold a journalism degree from West Virginia University (Let's Gooo Mountaineers!). In my free time, I enjoy going to concerts, reading, cheering on my favorite sports teams (Go Steelers & Pens!), shopping and having drinks with friends. I have a shih-tzu, Ireland, whom I love dearly. My ambition is to become a successful author and contribute my writing to various magazines and other digital media outlets. If you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you!